If you are looking forward to publishing your first book in India, then this article will definitely help you out in choosing the right way to do that. As the title of the article says ‘How to publish a book in India’ so without wasting much time, lets directly dive into the answer.
There are Two ways you can choose to Publish a book in India:
- Traditional Publishing
The very first answer to your question ‘How to Publish a Book in India‘ is Traditional Publishing. Let us discuss the same in detail. In Traditional Publishing, publishers will be going to buy the copyrights of your work and you will be given some advance against it to secure the deal. You can be in contact with the publishers either directly sending them your manuscript, but before that, you have to pitch your story, in brief, using the QUERY LETTER. The other way to approach the Publishers is through the Literary agents.
Pros of Traditional Publishing
- You have the full support of the publisher. By that means you can attract maximum visibility.
- Your publisher will market your book for you.
- Before getting your work to the final state, it involves a lot of processes such as editing, proofreading, formatting and cover design. So you will not have to do that as these all are done by the publisher as a part of the contract.
- Your book will get listed in all the major stores across the country.
Cons of Traditional Publishing
- The entire process will take a lot of time.
- Nowadays, it is very difficult to find a good publisher in low cost.
- Royalty sharing/Profit sharing margins are very less.
If you find that Traditional publishing is not your cup of tea, then you might want to ask How to Publish a Book India without taking the long route of traditional publishing. The Answer to that is Self Publishing. It is a way to release your book in the market without the involvement of any Publisher. A self-published book is said to have privately printed. While self-publishing, most of the time authors first release a Kindle ebook version and then move on to print books.
Pros of Self-Publishing
- You have all the control of all the processes involved in Publishing – TOTAL FREEDOM!
- You don’t have to be bound over the fewer royalties.
- You can apply your own ways to market your book. OR you can also hire a market expert.
- Many times, Publishers avoid to play their cards on Newbie Authors, but in Self-Publishing, you are the caretaker of your success.
Cons of Self-publishing
- DISCOVERABILITY – Publishers usually have the high reach to the Reader’s audience.
- Without Marketing your book is just like a needle in the haystack. In self-publishing, you have to market your book all by yourself.
- If you are going for a print edition, then you have to pay an extra cost of money to do that
Tip: Amazon’s Create Space is one of the best self-publishing platforms available online.
Traditional Publishing has higher success rate in comparison to Self-Publishing. But, if you are a newbie writer, then you should definitely explore self-publishing to check the strength of your work.
If this Article answers your question of “How to Publish a book in India” Well enough, then please do write u s in comments and share your thoughts as well.